Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology-based database integration

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 16:53:42 -0400
Len Yabloko wrote:

>>> Kingsley,

>>> It is hard to believe your statement above .You created more presentations
>(PDFs) than solutions. Looking at all your presentations I don't see any
>definition of "real problem" (unless you consider a marketing of immature
>products to be a real problem).
>>>
>>> Len
>>>

>> Len,
>>
>> In fact, to my chagrin,  I have far more solutions than I have
>> presentations.
>>

> Unless you are in management consulting business, - not everything that you
>produced is a solution (what is your definition?). Sometimes you just have to
>bother and read PDF or other document to understand the problem.
>

>> You care completely misreading me, sadly.
>>

> I simply did not see a problem defined anywhere. Converting relational
>structures to graphs is not a problem. Using SQL is not a problem. Did you
>know that ANSI SQL can be used to query graphs?

As I said, you are simply not understanding me or what you are reading.    (01)

Your comment above speaks volumes.    (02)

Do at least perform a modicum of research when communicating with people
online.

>> Look, its the year 2009, why spend time on PDFs when you can provide
>> links to problem and solution demos? As for PDFs, we only produce them
>> to match HTML resources (as alternative representations of content).
>>

> Linking data is indeed something useful. But only if can provide means for
>interpreting and manipulating the data.
>

>> Give me links to data!
>>

> Sure. In this presentation of yours on slide 29-30 you are showing how to
>convert Northwind database into RDF graph (not explaining why, though)
>
>http://www.authorstream.com/presentation/rumito-115284-open-conceptual-data-models-semweb-linkeddata-semanticweb-virtuoso-openlink-sparql-sql-dataportability-socialnetworking-science-technology-ppt-powerpoint/
>
> There was actually a nice study conducted at the University of Oregon in 2006
>trying to integrate Northwind with another database containing similar
>information. You can download both and try to re-produce the same results.
>
> http://aimlab.cs.uoregon.edu/benchmark/index.html
>       (03)

My comment above stands.    (04)

The results won't be the same if we don't end up with Graphs that
contain entities with HTTP based Identifiers for traversing the
relationship graph. The very graph that takes its conceptual
construction from relational schema to ontology mapping.    (05)

I am about the above, and then meshing the disparate data sources,
coherently.    (06)

My initial link about "Michael Jackson" was a live example of that kind
of inference rules guided meshing (not mashing).    (07)

Kingsley

>> Kingsley

>> --
>>

>> Regards,