Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology-based database integration

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 13:23:39 -0400
Len,    (01)

If I happen to talk about apples and not about elephants,
that doesn't mean I'm confusing apples with elephants.    (02)

LY> Obviously, since as John pointed out all different data
 > representations are essentially logical equivalent.  I think
 > this a case of confusing logic with semantics.    (03)

First, I never said that "all different data representations"
are logically equivalent.  What I said is that different syntactic
structures for databases, such as tables vs. graphs, are capable
of storing logically equivalent content.    (04)

But you can store different content with different semantics
in the same kind of database.  Not all content is the same.    (05)

LY> The question should be: are all these so called "conceptual views"
 > represent the same concepts.    (06)

That is an important question.  But it is a different question.
Two different kinds of content stored in the same kind of database
may make different statements that use different concepts defined
by different conceptual views.    (07)

Whenever you criticize any point that I make, please quote the
exact sentence or paragraph that you are criticizing.    (08)