Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology-based database integration

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pavithra <pavithra_kenjige@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 13:14:15 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Everybody and Dr. Sowa!

Are you all happen to be in ISWC 2009 ?

I attended "The semantic web for the rest of us"!   Highlight of the session - Tim Burner Lee was sitting in the audience...

What can I say.   Well, British did say that he invented "Internet" or www!  ( worth my session fees..  pardon my sense of humour.. but that is "something" for people like us who used to use "ping" and "talk" facility  from one university unix servers to connect to another university server's  legally.. and type one charector at a time on black and white screen, just twenty years ago.. ) !    I am looking forward to attend his presentation tomorrow..

Anyways, the general concession about future was to have interoperability among all the  system ...

Now is there something called "working Interoperability"?  I am opimistic, yet I know that is hard to achieve in the industry..
- most weak point of system' s  environemnt is the " integration part"  of different systems and technologies!
- and management of it.
- Over a period of time, during maintainance,  different software gets upgraded to different versions, causing gliches and software incompatility and frustration.
-  Most of the time, it is not he implimentation that is the problem.  Some genius will write a peace of code that will help the integration, but maintainance and version compatibility of difference peices of software is risky.     This is a problem we had years ago.  Yet I came across the same problem with SOA software implementation recenty..  which included many web products and databases and data warehouses!

That is my thesis for the day.. !!

If you have better resolution, pass it on ..

I think smooth interoperability is still a myth.. but, i may be naive..   ( there are well funded communities like D0D  that my have homegrown products and resources that create a smooth interoperable communities)..

Regards,
Pavithra