Re: [ontolog-forum] An Ultra High Level Ontology-TIME

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 16:07:50 -0600

On Feb 11, 2009, at 12:10 PM, Rich Cooper wrote:    (01)

> Sincerely,
> Rich Cooper
> EnglishLogicKernel.com
> Rich AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com
>
> Dear Ian,
>
>> Hi Rich,
>>
>> Hmmm...got a bit of a problem with the "at this moment in time".
>
> "Now" means as the NLP sentence is processed - the SYMBOLIC time
> at which the statement was made/read/processed.  It isn't calculated
> as the number of seconds since some reference point, as in the
> Excel spreadsheet meaning of Now.  Instead, it is a symbolic Now.
>
> My program reads a
> statement that is in present tense, and therefore records the
> statement in an RDB.  The statement says "X is happening."  Thus
> the RDB record for that statement uses the present value of "Now".
> It's the same Now that you use in Excel spreadsheets, but not
> Turned into a numeric value of time - instead, it's the symbol NOW.
> All statements in the present tense are recorded with the symbol "Now"
> as the time of occurrence.    (02)

A VERY bad idea. Do this, then wait a year or so, then look in the
RDB. Does it still have "Now" as the time in a table entry? What does
"Now" mean now; that is, then?    (03)

Type "valid transaction time" into Google and read some stuff before
proceeding.    (04)

Pat H    (05)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (07)