Re: [ontolog-forum] An Ultra High Level Ontology

To: <edbark@xxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Matthew West <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 08:16:25 -0000
Dear Ed,    (01)

> Rich Cooper wrote:
> > Adding Ian's extra category:
> >
> >       -wholePart (individual,individual)
> >
> > to my previous email suggesting an ultra high level ontology basis,
> > see the modified ontology below.
>
> Does anyone know what wholePart means?    (02)

[MW] I can help here. This is the classical mereological whole part
relation.

> As I recall, some published paper on Whole-Part relationships
> identified
> 22 possible axioms (although many of them require a 4D universe to have
> meaning).  So wholePart is a category of relations that have exactly
> which axioms in common?  Are they all antisymmetric? are they all
> transitive?  are they 'perdurant'?  Etc.    (03)

[MW] In his seminal Book "Parts: a study in ontology" Peter Simons
identified the axioms of classical mereology (it covers about a page). These
are all that is necessary for a 4D ontology (which he states explicitly).
Most of the rest of the book was about the complications that arise for 3D
ontologies (at the time he was a 3 Dimensionalist).    (04)

> I don't doubt that the specification at least tries to define these
> things carefully.  I do doubt that its definitions are axiomatic.  But
> we are ill-advised to judge anything from a list of indented terms.
>
> (And Ian must be careful how much he publishes to this group, because
> such publication has the potential for violation of ISO copyright.)    (05)

[MW] He is safe. This work is not part of any ISO standard (though it is
quite similar to ISO 15926).    (06)

Regards    (07)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 560 302 3685
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (08)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (09)