Re: [ontolog-forum] standard ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 15:55:03 -0600

On Feb 11, 2009, at 10:52 AM, Patrick Cassidy wrote:    (01)

> Question:
> [PH] > >
>>> Portion of that cost that could be reduced by a common foundation
>>> ontology: 1/5 (20 billion per year)
>>
>> Here's where we disagree. I suggest that the correct proportion here
>> would be more like 0.01 percent. Not because it wouldn't work if
>> people would all use it, but because people will not in fact use it.
>>
>> Pat H.
>>

> What do you think that people *would* use that would provide them
> accurate
> semantic interoperability?    (02)

Ontology-based tools which address their particular interoperability
requirements, typically standards set by organizations concerned with
their particular issues and concerns, like the relevant industries.
Hardly anyone needs to be able to interoperate with everybody.    (03)

Pat H    (04)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (06)