Re: [ontolog-forum] standard ontology

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 12:46:11 -0800

Hi Don,    (01)

>Rich,
>
>Until the FO comes with the complete set of supporting ontologies,
>technologies and capabilities that may immediately be applied
>effectively to the domains the company works in, with significant cost
>savings, interest in adopting such technology will be minimal. Funding,
>less so.
>
>Don Conklin
>Lockheed Martin, ISGS-Defense
>Virginia Beach, VA
>1+757-675-5947    (02)

I agree that tools are needed to mount the ontology into a project.  But
specific supporting ontologies, if needed, are developed in every data model
for every project anyway.  In the beginning of this FO, there won't be
any public secondary ontologies to speak of (except Dublin core and the
like).  There must be small projects which can be served by reformulating
a database to fit the FO, and otherwise stopping the reformulation.      (03)

Databases have classes built into the processes, but essentially no
databases have followed any fundamental ontology.  So what works well for
commercial purposes may be totally useless to OE researchers.      (04)

-Rich    (05)

Sincerely,
Rich Cooper
EnglishLogicKernel.com
Rich AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com    (06)