Re: [ontolog-forum] standard ontology

To: "Conklin, Don" <don.conklin@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ed Barkmeyer <edbark@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 19:44:50 -0500

Don Conklin wrote:
> Now that would be interesting...how would the application using this
> ontology set realize it is encountering concepts outside of its known
> domains, and how would it retrieve domain appropriate ontologies to
> continue the extraction accurately?     (02)

I don't pretend to much knowledge in this area.  What I have seen is
analysis tools that were 'primed' with an ontology for the domain of the
text corpus.  If the tool actually has to sort out the likeliest meaning
of 'bridge' from context, the overall quality of the results goes down.
  But if it is reading Cisco product literature, you can help it.    (03)

I am reminded of a research paper my younger son was doing on the
Crusades.  He encountered a potentially useful article, but it was in
French, and he used one of the automatic translators.  Its domain
ontology was pretty apparent when it translated "bandes des Croisés" as
"Crusader tapes". :-)    (04)

-Ed    (05)

Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263                FAX: +1 301-975-4694    (06)

  and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."    (07)