Re: [ontolog-forum] standard ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 16:26:58 -0500
OTOH, A US law that says that
- banks and publicly traded companies can not offer or purchase a new
financial product that is not described in terms of the US Treasury's
ontology for Financial Instruments
- each transaction must be properly recorded with the government using
the same ontology and
- each institution must report daily, its position in each instrument,
will go a long way to getting the financial sector to adopt ontology.    (01)

To encourage accuracy, the law should also insist that the ontological
description of the instrument takes precedence over written natural
language contracts.    (02)

This would have saved $700 billion in year (2008) and may be required,
ultimately, to restore trust between financial institutions.    (03)

Right now, no one knows what anyone owns or owes and they have no way to
evaluate what each contract, that their friend holds, means in terms of
the friend's financial position.
The financial instruments are too numerous and too complex to evaluate.
There needs to be a way to evaluate the thousands or even millions of
contracts and financial instruments in real time to decide if your
prospective partner institution is credit worthy or one step away from
insolvency.    (04)

There is a real problem. Can the collective intelligence here, figure
out a solution?
It will probably take 18 months to get such a law written (another $500
billion will be spent propping up the banks and providing direct relief
for small banks, businesses and individuals once the lawmakers figure
out that no amount of cash is going to tell one large institution that
it is OK to trade with another large one), so there is time to get a
basic ontology started if the government decides to go this route.    (05)

Ron    (06)