Re: [ontolog-forum] standard ontology

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Matthew West <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 20:26:43 -0000
Dear Ed,    (01)

> Pat Hayes wrote:
> >> Here's where we disagree. I suggest that the correct proportion here
> >> would be more like 0.01 percent. Not because it wouldn't work if
> >> people would all use it, but because people will not in fact use it.
>
> Matthew West wrote:
> > [MW] That is of course still more than we could think of how to
> spend.
>
> I make that 10M$. I thought PatC was talking about 30M$.
>
> > One thing I have no doubt about is that there are huge benefits
> possible.
>
>  From a "foundation ontology" developed by 100 nominal experts (chosen
> how?) by voting to resolve conflicts?   You'd have a better chance by
> requiring every computer science student to take a course in using
> DOLCE, and providing the funding for the textbooks.  (But since DOLCE
> is
> 3D, that wouldn't be Matthew's favorite.)    (02)

[MW] I was not saying anything about the impracticality of the method (which
I agree with you about). Only that if it could be achieved, and deployed
successfully (another minefield) there really are benefits. In my book that
probably means it is worth failing a few times (which is inevitable if we
are to find out and eliminate some of the ways that don't work).    (03)

Actually, I would be quite happy with every Computer Science undergrad being
taught DOLCE, just as long as they were taught ISO 15926 as well. I'd be
delighted if we could settle on one 3D and one 4D ontology and produce a
mapping between them.    (04)

Regards    (05)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 560 302 3685
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (06)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (07)