Re: [ontolog-forum] standard ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 01:58:31 -0600

On Feb 10, 2009, at 10:43 PM, Patrick Cassidy wrote:    (01)

> My difficulty with just waiting until some "large and economically
> important
> community of practice" evolves is, that on the basis of the
> experience of
> the past fifteen years, this process could take several decades, or
> longer.
> If here is any truth to the estimate that lack of semantic
> interoperability
> costs the country $100 billion per year in lost productivity, then it
> appears to me to be foolishness to let a few trillion dollars of
> losses
> accumulate rather than to attack the problem directly by creating that
> "community of practice" by funding its creation.  That is the
> essence of the
> proposal that we fund a consortium of 100 or so participants who will
> develop, and then  test in their own applications, some foundation
> ontology
> suitable to all of them.  The sooner such a community does develop,
> the
> sooner the benefits of a common ontology can begin to be felt.
>
> One might argue with the estimate of losses due to semantic
> interoperability
> - fine, let us try to arrive at an estimate we can believe in.  One
> can also
> argue about the likelihood of any given proposal of solving the
> problem.
> Fine with that too.  But since the costs are economical, a rational
> discussion should include a cost-benefit analysis.  Here's one try:
>  Cost of lack of semantic interoperability: assume 100 billion per
> year
> (0.7% of GDP)    (02)

Just in passing, where do you get that figure from?    (03)

>  Portion of that cost that could be reduced by a common foundation
> ontology: 1/5 (20 billion per year)    (04)

Here's where we disagree. I suggest that the correct proportion here
would be more like 0.01 percent. Not because it wouldn't work if
people would all use it, but because people will not in fact use it.    (05)

Pat H.    (06)