Re: [ontolog-forum] Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 13:48:08 -0500

Sharing facts and opinions are useful, but in discussing a project, goals and methods will determine the likelihood of success.  If the goal is to create an ontology repository that has a mechanism to relate the ontologies to each other, it would be well to decide before starting what that mechanism would be.  I have suggested a core foundation ontology that can serve as a means to translate the other ontologies into each other (if they are logically compatible), or to specify exactly where they differ, if logically incompatible.  If logically compatible with the core, they can be part of a hierarchy with the core as the root node.

   If I interpret John’s lattice suggestion correctly, the kind of foundation ontology I have in mind would be somewhere down the lattice from the most general top level which would be compatible with everything.  Then using the foundation ontology would not be a requirement to fit into that lattice.  OK.  The general theory of subsumption in the lattice may be adequate to theoretically relate an infinite number of ontologies, but we want to relate some specific ontologies to each other.    If, for the sake of illustration, we decide to focus first on ontologies that are logically compatible with each other, they would form a hierarchy of increasingly specific theories, but they would also have some common core of which they are all more specific theories.

   I think that to make this method concrete, it would be useful to start by creating a hierarchy of some small group of ontologies – perhaps simplified for the sake of illustration.  If that seems to be a productive path, we can subsequently get more detailed, add more ontologies, and add in logically incompatible ontologies.  If this sounds like a good start, we can inquire as to what ontologies we might try to relate – small demos, maybe?

   If this sounds reasonable, let us see if it can be arranged.  The problem I envision is that this kind of work is so time-consuming that few if any would be able to put in the time required to make serious progress.  The lack of funded time is the rock on which all previous discussions of common ontologies foundered, and I expect it also to be a problem for the task of relating ontologies in a repository to each other.

   The alternative proposal I have in mind, to relate ontologies with a common foundation ontology, does not have to be all-or-nothing fully funded from a vague suggestion.  I imagine that a formal proposal would be the result of a lot of preliminary discussion followed by a meeting of the potential participants that would prepare the formal proposal.  At the end of that meeting, it should be fairly clear whether there is a   realistic chance of achieving the intended goal.  If not, the proposal would never be submitted.  The initial, and perhaps final, financial risk in this scenario would be the cost of funding a meeting of 100 participants.  Maybe 200K?  This meeting would not be similar to the Heidelberg conference, because it would not be intended to resolve disputes or create an ontology, but to only create a proposal that specifies a concrete goal and a process for creating a common foundation ontology that will be used to relate other ontologies to each other.  If it seems useful to include ontologies that are logically incompatible with the core ontology, perhaps it will be possible to identify a more general core of which the foundation ontology is one specialization?  Then that project would be able to include more ontologies than one that requires logical compatibility with the core FO.

Pat

Patrick Cassidy

MICRA, Inc.

908-561-3416