Re: [ontolog-forum] Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Len Yabloko" <lenya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 22:43:23 +0000
Ron and all,

>You mean that you actually want to do something practical? Have we run
>out of "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" discussions?

I know of at least one commercial efforts that is attempting to collect many
ontologies under the same umbrella and make it useful and practical. I am
talking about http://www.freebase.com/explore     (01)

I the past there were similar efforts undertaken by MIT medial lab, but I don't
remember exact name and url. It was allowing anyone to make basic statements in
English.     (02)

The reason I am mentioning this is because there is no lack of practical
efforts in unifying common knowledge. However, this problem requires different
approach then simply "let's do it", as should be obvious to anyone following
this field.    (03)

This is why I recommend you to try to understand the question rather than
describe it as "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?". This is not
what people here are trying to do.    (04)