Re: [ontolog-forum] Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Carl Reed" <creed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 20:06:17 -0700
Quite the discussion!    (01)

That said, I side with Ron in terms of being pragmatic within the standards
domain regarding ontologies and content/modeling standards.    (02)

The OGC Members have for years struggled with semantics issues related to
the sharing of geographic content. Based on hard work by many OGC members
and and non-members, there appears to be a very workable and pragmatic
process emerging that works.    (03)

The following presentation was given at a conference this past summer. The
presentation describes the evolution of GeoSciML - a content model and
related GML application schema for sharing geological structure, lithology,
and bore hole data. GeoSciML is now an international standard.    (04)

http://www.ec-gis.org/Workshops/inspire_2008/presentations/08_04_Serrano.pdf    (05)

Anyway, GeoSciMl originally started as a research project by CSIRO
(Australia) to solve a data sharing problem in the hard rock mining
community. Turns out each authority had a different way of describing basic
elements of any bore hole record, so data sharing of bore hole was
difficult. Seeking a solution, CSIRO got a bunch of hard rock geologists
experts together from that community and they defined an ontology and from
the agreed upon ontology were able to define a full content model and then
encoded as XML Schema using the the OGC Geography Markup Language. This
project was so successful that a number of national Geological
organizations, such as Geosciences Australia, USGS, BGRM (French geological)
agreed to work on a single ontology for geology. They determined that a
standard ontology was needed in order to share geological data between
countries, organizations, and so forth. This effort took about two years.
The end results was an agreed to ontology, a content model, and XML schema
(again using GML) for actually encoding geology data based on the content
model and ontology. They they ran an interoperability test to actually make
sure that geology data could actually be shared between Geological agencies.
Success - hard - but success. And all standards based.    (06)

There is now an international portal called OneGeology that is totally
standards based.    (07)

Now, behind the scenes is something called INSPIRE - the Pan-European
spatial data infrastructure policy that is helping to drive much of this
work.    (08)

There is now similar work being done for the aeronautical charting
community, the meteorological community, the oceans sensor community, the
hydrology community, and many others.    (09)

Essentially, they are doing as Ron suggests:    (010)

> I hope that this will lead to multiple sets of ontologies that have been
> reviewed and informally "certified" to be internally consistent at least
> to the point where one can make assertions like:    (011)

Now, in terms of actual location elements (geography), what is really cool
is that all of these activities are using the same ontology as defined in
ISO 19107 as implemented in the OGC Geography MarkUp Language. This allows
for some high degree of cross community use (interoperability) of these
models. Even nicer is that any product that can ingest GML automatically can
ingest content from any of these communities!    (012)

Cheers    (013)

Carl    (014)