Re: [ontolog-forum] Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: edbark@xxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 17:00:13 -0500
Pat C. and Ed,    (01)

Again, I strongly agree with Ed's responses.  I'll just highlight
a few comments from the end:    (02)

PC>> I don't think that $30 million over 3 years qualifies as "massive"
>> in comparison with the costs of lack of semantic interoperability (100
>> billion per year), or to the costs (government and private) of prior and
>> ongoing efforts to address the semantic interoperability problem by less
>> effective methods.
>
EB> The question, Pat, is: How is what you are proposing different from what
> the Cyc and SUMO and IFF folks did and _are doing_?  What new insight do
> you bring?    (03)

That comparison of $30 million to $100 billion per year would only make
sense if that $30 million investment were to reduce the $100 billion.    (04)

But more than $70 million was invested in Cyc over the first 20 years
or so, and nobody has yet found a way to use it to make a dent in that
$100 billion cost.  The gov't agencies that invested that $70 million
in Cyc aren't happy about their lack of ROI, and they don't see any
reason for "doing the same thing and hoping for a different result."    (05)

Before anybody would ante up another $30 million, they would want to
see very solid answers to the following questions:    (06)

  1. How would the work done under this proposal differ from the work
     that was done over the past 24 years on Cyc?    (07)

  2. How would it solve any interoperability problems that could not
     be solved by using the current Cyc system?    (08)

  3. Would it be possible to modify Cyc to enable it to solve those
     interoperability problems?    (09)

  4. Would the modifications to Cyc cost less than $30 million?    (010)