Re: [ontolog-forum] Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 21:04:34 -0500
John,
  IN answer to the questions:

[JS] > Before anybody would ante up another $30 million, they would want to
> see very solid answers to the following questions:
>
>   1. How would the work done under this proposal differ from the work
>      that was done over the past 24 years on Cyc?

(1) that is detailed in the answer to Ed I just posted.    (01)

>   2. How would it solve any interoperability problems that could not
>      be solved by using the current Cyc system?

(2) yes, Cyc does not have mappings to the all (or any?) of the non-Cyc
ontologies that would be used to create the FO, and cannot currently serve
as a utility for translation among those ontologies.    (02)

>   3. Would it be possible to modify Cyc to enable it to solve those
>      interoperability problems?

(3) Sure, but in order to do that and get it widely accepted, it would still
have to be worked on by a large coalition, with the same cost.  I am
assuming that the FO project would use as much of the OpenCyc as is freely
available for use and relevant to the basic primitive concepts.  If Cyc does
not release any more of its system for free public use, the cost will not
change.    (03)

>   4. Would the modifications to Cyc cost less than $30 million?

(4) The technical modifications to create a representation of primitives
based on the Longman vocabulary would cost a lot less, but that would not
solve the  problem of getting other groups to use the Cyc.  I believe that
in the first instance we do need to accommodate all logically consistent
approaches to the FO, so as to create a large community of users.  The cost
is primarily to allow participation of such a large group, and to build the
translation axioms, though there will be parts such as work on the reasoner,
the subontology extractor, and the NL interface that will be expensive
beyond just the development of the FO.    (04)

Pat    (05)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.
908-561-3416