Re: [ontolog-forum] Next step in using ontologies for Harmonisation: was

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 12:05:33 -0500
Just a comment on the use of the term "standard":
  I have described a foundation ontology as a "standard of meaning" but this
is intended as a very loose usage of the term 'standard'.  It is not
necessarily a formal 'standard', just something that is used in common by
some community of significant size (more than a few users).  What I suggest
be built first is a *common* foundation ontology that can be tested by a
variety of users with different goals.  If it proves satisfactory to a large
enough community, then it may become a formal "standard".
   I regret my loose use of the word "standard" that may be causing some
misunderstanding.
   In its first incarnation, a common foundation ontology would only be a
'standard' in the sense that the Windows operating system is a standard - a
common platform/environment/paradigm that can serve to integrate multiple
applications within some community of users.  There could also be more than
one common foundation ontology used by different groups, just as there is
more than one widely used operating system.  But one may well dominate the
field, because when one is interested in interoperability, the largest
community of users will usually be an important consideration.    (01)

Pat    (02)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.
908-561-3416