Re: [ontolog-forum] Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 13:05:34 -0500
Azamat wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 07, 2009 7:04 PM, John wrote:
> "I would start the development with a registry that would allow
> anyone to register their favorite ontologies.  The relationships
> among them would be computed by reviewers and users who do the
> work of adapting them for their own purposes and reporting their
> studies, observations, calculations, experiences, and results."
>
> Very clear and sensible. Could you, John, enlighten the subsequent questions
> of where is this registry place and of who are the reviewers? Do we need any
> voting for this? Or, these issues can be handled by Peter.
>       (01)

You mean that you actually want to do something practical? Have we run
out of "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" discussions?    (02)

Perhaps a good start might be to make a wiki with:
- 1 page for each ontology
- a sensible and easily extensible set of categories to group them together
- a section of pages for comparisons and analysis with link to the
ontology pages
- sections for candidate sets of ontologies that might make up
reasonable FOs (in case  hell does not freeze over or $10 million fails
to fall out of the sky) for someone
- pages to discussions of the comparison of the FO candidate sets.    (03)

I think that a wiki would do the job and let everyone participate. It
would be easy to add new ontologies (or links to ontologies) and make
"peer" review very easy.    (04)

I have used MediaWiki (Wikipedia's wiki tool) for a couple of sites and
it is easy to set up and fairly intuitive to use.
If it would help, I would be happy to host it.    (05)

We could also just do this on the Wikipedia site if they do not object
to the amount of pages that this would add.    (06)

Ron    (07)