Re: [ontolog-forum] Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 14:21:22 -0500
Ron -
  Reasonable question:

> If ontology will save hundreds of billions of dollars to countries who
> companies and organizations adopt it, why is there no market?

  Answer: (1) because it will only save that much money for the *whole* US
economy, not one company.
  (2) Because no one company can convince many others to use their ontology
if they did not participate in its creation; It will become a widely used
standard (the basis for the economic savings) only when adopted by a very
large community, and the savings only occur if some very large community
uses the same ontology.   Creating another upper ontology and telling
everyone else "here, use my ontology" is not likely to be any more
successful than past efforts.  A project that develops a consensus
foundation ontology from a large group of developers will kick-start the
wider use of a foundation ontology by creating at the start a community of
users with a stake in its success.    (01)

   Something I left out of the earlier brief discussion is the importance of
good extension ontologies to minimize effort at usage (much like Java
libraries).  Such libraries can evolve only if the basic ontology survives
as a viable standard.  From past experience, it appears that the most direct
way to get that to happen is to create a community of users by funding their
participation in its creati0on.    (02)

Pat    (03)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.