Re: [ontolog-forum] Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: <edbark@xxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 12:03:41 -0500
The problem with letting the "market" determine standards is that there has
to be an effective "market", with multiple candidates, and multiple users,
for it to work.  In the case of a foundation ontology, there have been
publicly available candidates for over 6 years, but as yet there are few
users (applications, anyone?) and nothing remotely resembling a "market" has
developed.  This should give us a clue that we are dealing with a technology
that is not simplistically analogous to the ones we are accustomed to.  On
reflection this should not be terribly surprising- a proper foundation
ontology will have the content and expressive power of a human language, and
nothing like it has been actually developed **and widely used** up to now
(WordNet is not an ontology in that sense).      (01)

I suggest that, in dealing with a truly powerful and potentially
revolutionary technology that is aimed at supporting the replication of the
thinking function of humans, we keep an open mind about what approaches are
likely to work.  Sure, past experience must be consulted, but when new
technologies are being developed, over-rigid analogies with previous
experience may well be more misleading than helpful.  I respectfully suggest
that prior work on information standards is just not relevant to this issue.    (02)

I might also suggest that the current economic situation might give one
pause in relying exclusively on the "market" to solve issues.    (03)

Pat    (04)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.
908-561-3416