Re: [ontolog-forum] Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 14:09:30 -0500
Chris -
   OK, I don't want to dilute the meanings of well-accepted terms, so
perhaps you have a suggestion (I'll try to think of another compact phrase,
but one escapes me right now).    (01)

   I want to say that, for a foundation ontology to have the capability to
logically represent anything that a person might say (assuming that
'anything' is coherent), it has to have both an adequately expressive syntax
(minimum FOL) and a sufficiently large inventory of primitive concepts to
create the logical representation.  A 'primitive' concept is a concept that
cannot be ontologically represented by use of ontology elements already in
the foundation ontology. (This gets into the question of what it means to
represent a meaning, but for a start we can just say that what is good
enough to get correct results in all tested applications is an adequate
representation of the meaning).    (02)

   If we can't say that the FO "has the expressive power of a human
language" would you have an alternative compact but comprehensible way of
saying that?  "descriptive power"?  I would like to use "definitional power"
but there are some that prefer to reserve "definition" to its necessary and
sufficient meaning - better to avoid that issue.    (03)

   Pat    (04)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.
908-561-3416