Re: [ontolog-forum] Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 13:22:49 -0600
> Chris -
>   OK, I don't want to dilute the meanings of well-accepted terms, so
> perhaps you have a suggestion (I'll try to think of another compact
> phrase,
> but one escapes me right now).
>
> I want to say that, for a foundation ontology to have the capability
> to logically represent anything that a person might say (assuming
> that 'anything' is coherent), it has to have both an adequately
> expressive syntax (minimum FOL) and a sufficiently large inventory
> of primitive concepts to create the logical representation. A
> 'primitive' concept is a concept that cannot be ontologically
> represented by use of ontology elements already in the foundation
> ontology. (This gets into the question of what it means to represent
> a meaning, but for a start we can just say that what is good enough
> to get correct results in all tested applications is an adequate
> representation of the meaning).
>
> If we can't say that the FO "has the expressive power of a human
> language" would you have an alternative compact but comprehensible
> way of saying that?  "descriptive power"?    (01)

That expression is certainly in use, sometimes as a synonym for
"expressive power", but it seems to me (though I could be wrong) that
it is far less widely used than "expressive power" and, moreover, that
it does not have as fixed and deeply entrenched a meaning.  Seems to
me it's a reasonable choice so long as its intended (informal) meaning
is made clear.    (02)

> I would like to use "definitional power" but there are some that
> prefer to reserve "definition" to its necessary and sufficient
> meaning - better to avoid that issue.    (03)

Yes, misuses and misunderstandings of "definition" and its cognates
are rampant.    (04)

-chris    (05)