Re: [ontolog-forum] Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Mike Bennett <mbennett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 17:14:57 +0000
You are right about the issues around XML schema efforts. One of the
recurring themes seems to be the problem of people looking at the same
things from different perspectives. We often hear the phrase "meaning is
context", which I don't agree with, but it's certain that you can't deal
with meanings without contexts of one sort or another, including but not
limited to the kind of context which is the viewpoint from which someone
looks at something.    (01)

I think there is a lot of stuff like this, which OWL (for example) does
not deal with. Perhaps there is a need for some more formal methodology
around how high level ontology constructions are built. Clearly the
"Pizza is a Thing" approach is of no practical use in this.    (02)

As a start, as I have noted before, John Sowa's top levels of
Independent/Relative/Mediating, Continuant/Occurrent, Concrete/Abstract
provide some important building blocks for defining top level things
which are more robust than you would otherwise get, for example it
allows you to distinguish between roles, parties etc. versus independent
entities that take on those roles - this solves one problem that
stand-alone data models often encounter when someone needs to align or
cross reference terms in disparate data sources.    (03)

Similarly I think that the "third order" of Mediating Thing provides one
possible way of defining the different viewpoints from which otherwise
confusable things are seen, though I would want to give that more
thought. Would it be possible to develop a theory for defining classes
of things as seen from various different ontological commitments, within
a single framework, using these and perhaps some additional, similar
high level classes?    (04)

I suspect that such an endeavour if attempted in OWL would soon come up
against the limitations of OWL. In particular, I think that one would
need some kind of triadic relationships formally defined as part of the
syntax, in order to deal with the various ways in which classes of thing
seen from different viewpoints can be related to each other. Also would
triadic relationships be enough or do you need n-adic relationships?    (05)

Also I suspect one would need to start with a clear demarcation between
meaning, truth, fact and "Thing". If as Patrick suggests one can have
separate ontological classes for Person3D and Person4D then how does
this relate to the Thing which is a Person? Something needs to be
separated out for clarity I think, and the formalism for dealing with
this should ideally be part of the ontology language.    (06)

Anyway all of this looks like a useful agenda for research - this is the
kind of high level view that probably would not emerge unaided from
individual industry efforts, though those need to be the economic driver
for wanting to sort out these questions.    (07)

Mike    (08)

--
Mike Bennett
Director