Re: [ontolog-forum] Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 13:55:26 -0500
John,
  Your assertions about the conceptual primitives used in physics simply
have no basis in relevant experimental fact.  The only way to prove or
disprove such assertions is to try to find the conceptual primitives that
can combine to create satisfactory descriptions of these alternative
theories.  I am not asserting that this is certain, though experience with
the Longman suggest it is true.  I am asserting that this is an important
question that needs to be properly investigated, and that there is a
reasonable way to do such an investigation while creating a useful artifact
that will be worth much more than its cost, even if the number of primitives
does not reach a final limit.
   Yes, there are theories with mutually inconsistent models, and these can
be described using a common vocabulary of primitive concepts.  If it was not
possible, it would be hard or impossible to even describe how such theories
differ!!
    Can you agree that this is an open question worth investigating, or are
you so certain that you won't even consider the possibility?  If the latter,
please give the *factual* basis for your belief.    (01)

Pat    (02)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.
908-561-3416