Re: [ontolog-forum] Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 13:14:10 -0600
> provide the conceptual vocabulary with which to **describe**
> theories people
> build.  Alternative theories can be represented in extensions to the
> foundation ontology ...    (01)

I think Ed's point is that there is no realistic hope of such a thing
as THE foundational ontology (unless you take it to be first-order
logic, i.e., the theory whose only theorems are logical truths and
whose only primitives are boolean operators and quantifiers).    (02)

> I view the foundation ontology as the set of concept representations
> that do *not* depend on models for which there are disputed
> alternatives...    (03)

Yep, that sounds like first-order logic all right! ;-)    (04)

-chris    (05)