Re: [ontolog-forum] Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 11:26:33 -0500
Matthew,
   You just disproved your own point:
> Even at simpler level, you used space as something you presumably
> think is uncontroversial, but is space an empty box that matter
> exists in (Newton) or does space not exist unless it is filled
> in some sense (Einstein)?

  If you can describe the term "space" by use of other terms, then you are
in effect saying either that (1) there are multiple theories of "space" that
can be described in terms of more primitive elements; or (2) both theories
are alternative logically consistent views of the same phenomenon that can
be accommodated in a single ontology (i.e. there is a translation of
anything in empty space to anything in matter-dependent space).  In either
case there is still a set of basic primitives that can be used to compose
more complex concepts.  If there is in fact any ontologist who actually
wants to use the "no space without matter" theory, it can be accommodated as
an extension to the common foundation ontology, with a different term for
"space" (e..g MatterDependentSpace).  We are doing practical engineering
here, not philosophy or astrophysics; even if there are alternative possible
theories that can be described by the basic primitives, if no ontologist
feels the need for an alternative theory, it can be relegated to an
extension and the more common theory can be used in the base ontology until
it becomes controversial among users, in which case both alternatives have
to be put into an extension.  We have also discussed the 3D-4D issue on
several occasions, and these are two different but logically consistent
views of the same phenomenon that can both be accommodated in the foundation
ontology.  One just has to avoid giving the same label to two different
things.  At this late date in the development of ontology, we should all be
aware of the persistent urge to force one of several possible
interpretations on some common term, leading to endless debate about
nothing.  In an ontology, different concepts have different labels.  Period.
Person3D is not the same as Person4D, though one can create bridging axioms
to translate any assertion about one into an assertion about the other.  No
one can force anyone else to use a label to mean something they don't want
it to mean.  Mapping of linguistic labels to ontology concepts is the task
of a Natural Language Interpreter, or of a terminology committee (who can
create the links between labels in their own domain/context and the
ontological elements).  Ontologists only need to be able to *represent* the
different interpretations.    (01)

Pat    (02)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.