Re: [ontolog-forum] Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: janez.potocnik@xxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 10:21:32 -0500
I also share these concerns. The market will determine the "best"
standard over time.
The most helpful thing that this group could do would be peer review of
approaches that come forth and distribution of information about
ontologies that look promising.
This will encourage collaboration and will help eliminate ontologies
that have no competitive edge.    (01)

Detection of cultural biases is a helpful activity in an international
forum.    (02)

Discussions about the pros and cons of applying different ontologies is
useful.
Identification of compatible ontologies and identification of points of
conflict in otherwise compatible ontologies should be helpful in
developing a consensus about an eventual "standard" set of ontologies.    (03)

Providing a place where people can discuss their experience with
different sets of ontologies would be helpful.
Is there an Ontology wiki where this sort of information can be accumulated?    (04)

Ron    (05)