Re: [ontolog-forum] Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 10:28:46 -0500
I spoke to Barry Smith at the OIC-06 conference in December, and he
mentioned that they are working on a common core for the OBO, but it is
initially planned to be a lot smaller than the FO I have been discussing,
and is not intended to serve as a means of translation among alternative
views.  The BFO is a single-inheritance ontology, and is prescriptive and
restricted as to what is allowed at the most abstract levels.    (01)

Projects such as OBO, that use core ontologies with only one way of
representing any given concept probably would not work, unless changed
significantly, as the core component of the lattice or hierarchy of
theories, but would have to be mapped to such a hierarchy.  I think that the
'disjoint' axioms in BFO would make it incompatible with many other
ontologies, but I think that that problem could be cured by just removing
some of the 'disjoint' assertions (or the partitions) without changing the
actual performance  of the ontology in practical applications.  This is
something that needs direct investigation - once the practical applications
of the OBO are available for public examination.    (02)

Pat    (03)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.
908-561-3416