Re: [ontolog-forum] Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Mike Bennett <mbennett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 15:24:24 +0000
I agree. I would add that for the most part, the terms needed in a given
industry are already owned by communities of practitioners and standard
bodies in that industry, so all that's needed is to offer to those
groups a way to enhance their work with an ontology which they would own
and manage. Whether that lives on their own servers with links to some
common management framework, or lives on some commonly managed resource
with links to their existing standards materials (e.g. messages and so
on) will depend on where each of those groups is currently at.    (01)

So for example in the financial industry, once the ISO 20022 version 2
interbank messaging standard is available (which it isn't yet), this
will have an explicit semantic component defined in the standard. The
content will be managed by a Registration Authority appointed by ISO,
likely to be someone like SWIFT. The methods for translating the
semantics to various physical message formats will almost certainly
follow the OMG's MDMI standard (I just came off a call with SWIFT and
OMG on this) and the semantics model itself will be either in native OWL
or ODM, most likely ODM.    (02)

So assuming that the financial industry is fairly typical, the question
is not one of finding some green field site where no-one has heard of
semantics and offering to create a great ontology, it's a question of
providing some way of inter-relating the more basic concepts from which
the semantics models in each industry are built, so that you end up with
ontologies that have some formal relations among them. For instance in
the current draft semantics model for the financial industry we have had
to use a lot of primitive concepts for financial (based on XBRL), time,
geography, math, legal and so on. Most of these we've had to make up for
ourselves but would expect to be able to find an interoperable and
respected world of semantics models from which to draw these concepts.
This is the missing piece at the moment.    (03)

In other words it's in the formal semantics inter-relations that I would
see this community being able to add something, not so much in the idea
of modeling semantics for people. Each industry will want to do that,
and there has been a huge explosion in the appreciation of semantics at
least in the financial industry, and probably in others.    (04)

I don't know if that is in line with how others see things here?    (05)

Mike    (06)

--
Mike Bennett
Director