Re: [ontolog-forum] Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 07:19:09 +0700
Elisa    (01)

stewardship is indeed important, but it cannot be seen separately from
architecture, or from organisational aspect, or funding    (02)

all of these things end up being interdependent in any project    (03)

to pay someone to be a stewart for an ontology can end up being very
expensive, students will lose interest when they finish their studies,
researchers will only do so when paid and will stop doing so when the
funding runs out, to find funding it is necessary to have an
organisation, which require administrators, which require managers etc
etc - bureaucracy, potential inefficiency    (04)

there are loadsa lovely projects on the web including ontoportal
started with similar aims, and abandoned.  plenty of skeletons and
ghostships floating around. any wise investor will see the risks of
potentialy wasting resources    (05)

a good stewart will want to have say in the architecture, and may not
agree with another stewart etc    (06)

a possible solution would be to identify people who are already
inherently motivated to develop and maintain some ontology, for
example
JS could maintain the ontology of lattices, he would do so because he
really loves lattices and knows a lot about them, and he should do so
where and how he is comfortable doing so, and other experts could do
the same in their respective fields,    (07)

no money could ever pay for such contributions, and anyone could
benefit by importing and manipulating the ontology to suit their
purpose, and where appropriate, redistributing as it happens with
creative commons    (08)

an LOD approach would help to navigate and use these ontologies as
specified by individual user requirements, without impacting the
independence of the resources    (09)

such an approach does not require an organisation, no funding *any
person or organisation can  create an ontology and distribute it free
of charge), just coordination and commitment of individual
stakeholders    (010)

Paola Di Maio    (012)