Re: [ontolog-forum] Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 11:33:48 -0500
Anders,    (01)

It seems that we are in violent agreement.    (02)

 > In a national gov report I added a section on maturity where
 > we discussed a registry and repository in the light of
 > standardisation.  There we argued that it is often more
 > "economical" (TCQS) to aim for *harmonisation* of alternatives
 > than going after standards.    (03)

That point is especially important for ontologies, for which we
have an overabundance of examples of varying levels of quality.
But there is no single example (or even a small number of
examples) for which there is solid support and consensus.    (04)

That is why many of us have proposed a registry and/or repository
of all reasonable alternatives.  The most useful standards for
such a registry would specify the kinds of metadata that should
be included to relate the ontologies and indicate how they
have been and/or are intended to be used.    (05)

John Sowa    (06)