Re: [ontolog-forum] Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 00:07:13 -0500
John,
   The primitives of logic and the units of measurement are a small part of
the basic vocabulary that people use to express knowledge.  The foundation
ontology does not replace or duplicate scientific concepts, it incorporates
them into a larger body of knowledge, and enables translations among
different vocabularies used to express the same or related ideas.  The
experts that use the units of measurement (I have used all of the basic
units in my laboratory days) and specify their logical description will be
included in a consortium that creates the foundation ontology.
   The whole point of creating an FO by a large consortium is precisely to
be certain that the views representing many different interests and ways to
express knowledge are taken into account, within a lattice of theories.  I
can't imagine how you interpret this as meaning that some important views
are going to be ignored in such a project.  The consortium process ensures
that maximum effort will be made to be certain that nothing that is useful
in translating views is left out, and dictates nothing to anyone.  I have
explicitly reiterated repeatedly that any basic concepts that anyone needs
should be included.
   It is clear that you have completely misinterpreted the proposal I have
been making.    (01)

Pat    (02)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.