Re: [ontolog-forum] Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 01:32:40 +0700
Pat    (01)

> To Paula: An OWL file *is* an ontology in the W3C sense. All this
> means is that (1) "an ontology" refers to a collection of formal
> sentences, which has been accepted terminology in this field since its
>inception, and (2) "in the W3C sense" means that the formalism being > used is
>one of those sanctioned by a W3C-published specification
> document, so that existing Web processes which conform to the
> standards can emit, transmit, input, parse and process it
> appropriately.    (02)

yes, however when the title  of the lecture is 'ontology engineering'
and then it teaches 'ontology engineering in the W3C sense, it is
misleading, especially when it fails to convey all the limitations of
the latter, in comparison to broadest oe sense.
thus the label 'indoctrination'    (03)

> If this makes you want to weep, you are working in the
> wrong field.    (04)

or maybe it means that I am frustrated that a lot of what is sold as
'ontology engineering' education actually offers limited semantic
precision thus defeating its purpose    (05)

--
Paola Di Maio    (07)