Re: [ontolog-forum] Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Matthew West <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 18:28:26 -0000
Dear Pat,    (01)

Ian's surprise at something being both an individual and a class is probably
my fault, because in ISO 15926 we used this term for something that exists
in space-time, i.e. a spatio-temporal extent. You would probably be less
concerned to know that Ian is surprised when it seems that a spatio-temporal
extent can also be a class. Of course this is not what OWL means by an
individual. ISO 15926 is of course quite happy about classes or individuals
being members of classes (as indeed is the IDEAS ontology that Ian
mentions).    (02)

Regards    (03)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 560 302 3685
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (04)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (05)