Re: [ontolog-forum] Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "opensource@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opensource@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 15:33:17 +0100
Pat Hayes wrote:
> Ali Hashemi wrote:
>> We're not /combining/ ontologies, we're linking them in useful ways.
> Well, that sounds nice, but until you clarify what you mean, its
> impossible to evaluate it. What does it mean to /link/ as opposed to
> /combine/ ontologies? I take it that 'combine' means simply to take
> two sets of axioms and make them into one set. This is the (admittedly
> very basic and elementary) sense implied by the OWL 'import'
> primitive, where one ontology can 'combine another ontology into
> itself. I have never seen any more nuanced or subtle form of
> combination or 'linking' ever precisely defined.    (01)

While I agree to Pat's comment about the evaluation quality there is
something else that is important with providing "similarity" relations
in a *Harmonisation* scenario. Even though formalism is lacking such
relations could be of great usefulness for ontology authors when looking
for previous work and good ideas. When adding a goal of harmonisation,
i.e reducing unnecessary  work, especially for untrained ontology
workers,  such comparative functionalities could be of high value.Ex Web
search and wikipedia kind of linking, while lacking formalist they
provide high values to many.    (02)

Many unexperienced ontology workers or modelers have little to no
knowledge of the wast amount of work that already has been performed in
various group so what happens? Intellectual work is redone, often with
the effect of *reduced* ontological  quality since a new team often dont
have the ability to repeat all deep thoughts performed by ontological
experts with time on their hands.    (03)

Preparing and planning for harmonisation is one possibility to use when
trying to circumvent some of the locks (often mental) that
standardisation or the creation of *one*, *single* or *common to all*
ontological elements.    (04)

thanks
/Anders W. Tell    (05)