Re: [ontolog-forum] Model or Reality

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 16:21:22 -0500
On Aug 8, 2007, at 2:22 PM, Azamat Abdoullaev wrote:
> There is a sorrowful example of my thesis; continue you emotional
> statements:    (01)

Good grief, John's statements weren't emotional at all.  The
following in particular is empirically verifiable:    (02)

>> The 20th century was filled with disasters caused by people trying to
>> ram their conception of the truth down other people's throats.
>> And the
>> 21st is starting off on an even worse footing.''
>
> All these devastations and destructions arose from and will arise
> only from
> ''different conceptualizations''.    (03)

Rubbish.  The mere existence of different conceptualizations hasn't
in itself any power for good or ill; if anything, it indicates a
healthy community in which competing ideas are allowed flourish.  A
mixture of conceptualizations becomes volatile only when combined
with an unshakable belief on the part of the devotees of one or more
of the conceptualizations that (i) theirs mirrors the One True
Reality and (ii) others must be made to believe the same way or be
marginalized or destroyed.    (04)

It is one of the creepier aspects of human psychology that (i) seems
to engender (ii).  So when I encounter a True Believer I just smile,
nod, and slowly back away...    (05)

-chris    (06)