Re: [ontolog-forum] Model or Reality

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 13:14:06 -0400
Azamat,    (01)

That statement is the worst possible nonsequitur:    (02)

AA> Reality is one as its true representation.  Otherwise,
 > you will have just defective systems with ''different
 > conceptualizations''.    (03)

I'll accept the point that reality is one, but if we have
learned anything over the past several millennia, it is that
no finite mind can ever have an absolutely true representation
of everything -- or even of any significant part.    (04)

Science is the search for truth, but the best it can ever do
is to give us better and better approximations.  And *every*
other field is in much, much worse shape than science.    (05)

The worst evils in all history have been committed by people
who thought that they had the *ONE TRUE TRUTH* and that it
was their *DUTY* to inflict their conceptualization of the
*TRUTH* on everybody else.    (06)

The 20th century was filled with disasters caused by people
trying to ram their conception of the truth down other people's
throats.  And the 21st is starting off on an even worse footing.    (07)

Whenever anybody thinks he or she has absolute truth in his
or her hands, you have found a truly depraved being who would
inflict untold evil upon the world -- unless stopped.    (08)

I won't mention any, but I'm sure we can all find examples.    (09)