Re: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer Cake

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Kathryn Blackmond Laskey <klaskey@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 13:17:53 -0400
>To show that Common Logic is applicable to any situation of interest,
>I would first observe that English has proved to be applicable to
>any situation of interest.    (01)

Define "situation of interest."    (02)

Have you never been in a situation in which saying nothing said a
great deal, and to say something would have been most inappropriate?
For example, when  teenage children are in a certain state of mind,
remaining silent is the best way to make perfectly clear to them how
inappropriate their behavior is.  TELLING them this -- or saying
anything, for that matter -- turns the parent into the bad guy and
entrenches them in feelings of self-righteousnes.  Disciplining
oneself to stay silent makes point very effectively, sometimes even
to the point of an unprompted apology when things have calmed down.    (03)

I understand that this situation could be described at a meta-level
using English or Common Logic, but my point is that a communication
is being made with no use of English, and that using English would
desrtroy the communication.    (04)

There are also times when one utters a sentence meaning its opposite.    (05)

Then there is music, and metaphor, and fantasy, and so on and so on...    (06)

K    (07)