Re: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer Cake

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 13:59:35 -0400
Kathy,    (01)

I was repeating the phrase used by Sean B.    (02)

JFS> English has proved to be applicable to any situation of interest.    (03)

KBL> Define "situation of interest."    (04)

Sean was asking for the conditions for using FOL (or the CL
version) in practical applications.    (05)

My response was that all of mathematics and anything that
can be implemented on a digital computer can be defined
in FOL.  As a proof, I described the FOL subset of English
and challenged anyone who could find a specification of any
aspect of a computer system that could not be translated
to that subset.    (06)

KBL> Have you never been in a situation in which saying nothing
 > said a great deal, and to say something would have been most
 > inappropriate?    (07)

Sure.  But that was not the kind of application for which I
was proposing Common Logic (or a version of controlled English
that could be translated to CL).    (08)

KBL> ... my point is that a communication is being made with
 > no use of English, and that using English would destroy the
 > communication.    (09)

Of course.  On the other hand, English can be used to discuss
such situations, as you have just done.    (010)