Re: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer Cake

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: SW-forum <semantic-web@xxxxxx>
From: "Peter F Brown" <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 23:13:13 +0200
Duane:
You are right. This goes to the heart of the issue of "vicious circularity"
that Whitehead and Russell had thought was sorted with Principia Mathematica,
until Kurt Gödel came along and demolished their shiny, perfect, world. An
ontology is not just some self-referencing and self-sustaining model that is
somehow "complete"; it points out to the real world, as you rightly say.    (01)

Before there is a flame war on this, I should underline that we discussed this
extensively at the Ontology Summit, and there was an (uncomfortable for some)
consensus that there is "Ontology" as *the* study of being; and there are
"ontologies" that are domain-specific encapsulations of some aspect of the real
world.    (02)

Peter    (03)