Re: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer Cake

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 17:35:20 -0700
Randall:    (01)

Fearing complete ignorance, I rushed out to validate only to find some
conflicting data and ambiguity.  I probably should have used Jibe but found
some equal data to suggest the opposite.    (02)

Jive = a dance style made popular by African Americans in the early part of
the century.  In Western Canada, the slang use of "jive" equals the meaning
of "news" as in "the daily jive".  It was also used in the context of
"that's some jive music" meaning really good.    (03)

It has also been rumored to be used by the great BB king to mean the
opposite (jive = false).  Cannot find a reference to that though.  Later use
of terms like "jive talking" were made famous by the BeeGees.    (04)

The original use of jives vs jibes if probably due to someone's bad ears.
I would have certainly been guilty as I use both.  Would love to see how the
whole mess evolved.    (05)

And yes -     (06)

;-)    (07)

Is my standard 'wink' message as a reminder not to take anything too
seriously, including this message.  I'm just jive talkin.    (08)

Woot!    (09)

D    (010)

On 7/31/07 5:19 PM, "Randall R Schulz" <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:    (011)

> On Tuesday 31 July 2007 16:54, Duane Nickull wrote:
>> Peter:
>>
>> That jives with my beliefs, as crooked and warped as they may be.
>
> It's "jibes." "That _jibes_ with my beliefs..."
>
> Jive is something else, entirely. For one thing, it's a noun (in modern
> colloquial usage. The early 20th century use is now obsolete.)
>

>> ;-)
>
> Or is this the message?
>

>> /d
>

> RRS