Re: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer Cake

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: 'SW-forum' <semantic-web@xxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 13:05:29 -0700

On 7/31/07 12:46 PM, "Azamat" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    (01)

> The real semantics or meanings of any symbolism or notation is defined by
> ontology; for this is the only knowledge domain studying the Being of
> Everything which is, happens and relates.    (02)

Not trying to start a nit picky argument, but I had always thought that real
semantics are defined by how a term is used and what it is linked to in a
physical world (which of course can be captured and expressed in an
ontology).  Otherwise any ontology is just a huge circular reference (like
the english dictionary when void of any grounding.    (03)

How can one define and convey the true meaning of spicy food, heat, pain etc
without the corresponding grounding experience?    (04)

Duane     (05)

"Speaking only for myself"
Blog - http://technoracle.blogspot.com
Community Music - http://www.mix2r.com