Re: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer Cake

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Azamat <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: 'SW-forum' <semantic-web@xxxxxx>, semantic_web@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 12:37:33 -0700
Have to concur with John here.  A recent activity I undertook was learning
German.  I became convinced in the process that the grammar rules were
developed after the fact in a futile forensic architecture attempt.  In a
perfect world, the grammar logic would be done first then a language built
to be a consistent reflection of those axioms and logic.  This will never
happen (aside from esperante).  German developed and the semantics have been
grounded in real world use for hundreds of years.  Coming up with consistent
rules that account for regional dialects, nuances and the (almost larger
than set of rules) set of exceptions to the rules is a daunting task.    (01)

Those problems in maintaining consistency in one language are insignificant
in the scope of defining consistency across all languages.    (02)

Nevertheless, good luck to those who enjoy a challenge.    (03)

Duane    (04)

On 7/31/07 11:40 AM, "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    (05)

> Azamat,
>
> Logic defines the semantics of any notation that is used
> to define any version of ontology.
>
> AA> ... instead of Unifying Logic, it will be a Unifying Ontology
>> (a single comprehensive model of reality) integrating as its parts
>> the Web general vocabularies and ontologies
>
> If the notations for expressing the ontology are inconsistent,
> there is no hope of making the ontology consistent.
>
> As I said, there are immense problems in maintaining the consistency
> of large ontologies.  If you believe that you can achieve consistency,
> I wish you the best of luck.
>
> But if different parts or chapters of that ontology are expressed
> in inconsistent versions of logic, the project is doomed from
> the start.
>
> John

>      (06)

"Speaking only for myself"