Re: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer Cake

To: Azamat <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: 'SW-forum' <semantic-web@xxxxxx>, semantic_web@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 14:40:50 -0400
Azamat,    (01)

Logic defines the semantics of any notation that is used
to define any version of ontology.    (02)

AA> ... instead of Unifying Logic, it will be a Unifying Ontology
 > (a single comprehensive model of reality) integrating as its parts
 > the Web general vocabularies and ontologies    (03)

If the notations for expressing the ontology are inconsistent,
there is no hope of making the ontology consistent.    (04)

As I said, there are immense problems in maintaining the consistency
of large ontologies.  If you believe that you can achieve consistency,
I wish you the best of luck.    (05)

But if different parts or chapters of that ontology are expressed
in inconsistent versions of logic, the project is doomed from
the start.    (06)