Re: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer Cake

To: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: 'SW-forum' <semantic-web@xxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Azamat" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 22:46:31 +0300
John,    (01)

The scopes and subject matters of Ontology and Logic shouldn't be mixed.
The real semantics or meanings of any symbolism or notation is defined by
ontology; for this is the only knowledge domain studying the Being of
Everything which is, happens and relates. If Ontology is a real science,
Logic is a formal science, because it concerned only with the formal parts
of Discourse about Anything or Everything. Logic considers the elements (the
terms, propositions, inferences or syllogisms) of the whole discourse aside
from their reference to the world (or their real meanings and significance).
As a formal science, Logic deals with the formal patterns of discourse
common to all sciences.    (02)

So, Ontology deals with the matter and content, with the real components of
discourse about anything, while Logic is an art, an instrument of
intellectual reasoning, at least a formal science,and it has nothing to do
with reality, real significance or real meanings, a coherent representation
of which is the ultimate target of Intelligent Web.    (03)

Azamat    (04)