Re: [ontology-summit] Summit Website

To: rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Brand Niemann <bniemann@xxxxxxx>
Cc: Ontology Summit 2012 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 09:13:06 -0700
> [RW] This whole discussion seems to have degenerated into childishness
> and personal feuds that are unbecoming to all involved.    (01)

[ppy] I agree with you that this is absurd, not worthy of this forum,
and a total disgrace.
(I do not agree, though, that there is factual merit on Brand's side,
but that is besides the point.)    (02)

Also, this is absolutely not driven by "personal feuds."    (03)

I see it as my duty (as host to the Ontolog published online work from
the community) to vigorously protect the IPR of people who have
entrusted their contributions to the <ontolog.cim3.net> collaborative
work environment for the last decade. What Brand Niemann is doing rots
the very core of collaboration, openness and trust, and undermines
this community and its great work.    (04)

Therefore, may I request that everyone else takes their discussion on
this matter off-list; the only person we need to hear back from is
Brand. If he has a case, we should hear him out; otherwise he should
make a choice of either complying with our (cc by-sa 3.0) license or
take down the material on his site that was copied from here.    (05)

Besides the relevant points made by Leo, myself, Ron and Simon
earlier, I was also prompted offline on the following (which I believe
is also helpful in this case):    (06)

ref. http://www.cendi.gov/publications/04-8copyright.html#30
//
3.1  Government Works    (07)

3.1.1  What is a U.S. Government work?    (08)

A "work of the United States Government," referred to in this document
as a U.S. Government work, is a work prepared by an officer or
employee of the United States Government as part of that person's
official duties. (See 17 USC § 101, Definitions.56)    (09)

Contractors, grantees and certain categories of people who work with
the government are not considered government employees for purposes of
copyright. Also not all government publications and government records
are government works (See FAQ Section 1.0, Definitions).    (010)

An officer's or employee's official duties are the duties assigned to
the individual as a result of employment. Generally, official duties
would be described in a position description and include other
incidental duties. Official duties do not include work done at a
government officer's or employee's own volition, even if the subject
matter is government work, so long as the work was not required as
part of the individual's official duty. (S.REP. NO. 473, 94th Cong.,
2d Sess. 56-57) (1976) "A government official or employee should not
be prevented from securing copyright in a work written at his own
volition and outside his duties, even though the subject matter
involves his government work or his professional field.") For further
discussion, see Tresansky, John O. Copyright in Government Employee
Authored Works. 57 30 Cath. L. Rev. 605 (1981).    (011)

... etc.
//    (012)

Additionally, I do not believe Brand Niemann is a government employee,
or working on his website in an official  "government employee"
capacity; and that his
"MindTouch:SemanticCommunity.info/AOL_Government/Ontology_Summit_2012_Communique"
website is *not* a US government website. ... Again, Brand, please
correct me if I am wrong.    (013)

Regards. =ppy    (014)

Peter Yim
Co-convener, ONTOLOG