Re: [ontology-summit] Summit Website

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 17:53:56 -0400

I have been following this with interest.
I am not a lawyer but the license is pretty simple.

There is nothing in CC BY-SA 3.0 that talks about software or licensing for software that is used to host or produce the content so I assume that this is a distraction to the true objection.

The timing of publication is a bit tricky since the draft was placed into CC BY-SA 3.0 which is equivalent to publishing it.
If the Brand site has the correct information, it would seem that the objection over timing is not rectifiable.
If it has outdated information, it should be brought up to date.

This leaves the licensing.

  • Attribution You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).

  • Share Alike — If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.

Attribution:
The person using the material has to acknowledge the author in the way that the author specifies.
I do not see anything on the CIM3 site that describes the requested attribution..

The "offending" site does acknowledge the source and gives credit to the authors.
What else is required to remove this irritant?

Sharing:
The "offending site" does not make any mention about what people can do with the information copied from the CIM3 site.
This seems to be a defect in the use of the material that actually has some substance.
It would seem that this could be easily fixed by a reference on each page to the license and by indicating that people can copy the information off Brand's site as long as they respect CC BY-SA 3.0.

Is this all it takes to meet everyone's objections?

This discussion is a distraction and we should be pleased that the work of this group is getting a wider audience.
The CIM3 site is very clear that anything that anyone adds to the site is free for others to use.

Ron