Re: [ontolog-forum] The "qua-entities" paradigm

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 11:45:17 +0100
Dear Alex,    (01)

Dear Matthew,     (02)

Thank you very much for your patience and for clarification.     (03)

I do apologise in advance if my comments can be considered as meaningless. I do
not have any formal education in philosophy,
[MW>] Neither do I!
and I might express opinions that were discussed and rejected centuries ago.    (04)

In one of the previous emails you wrote that: ‘Identity is the relationship
something has with itself.’ And: ‘The critical thing is the identity
criteria that enables you two say two things are in fact one.’.    (05)

Thinking about those statements raises plenty of questions in my mind, and
honestly I cannot find answers to satisfy my curiosity. For example,     (06)

I am not quite sure about the word ‘you’ in the last quote. Does that
‘you’ mean an observer? or does it mean some ‘soul’/‘demon’ between
a thing and a (potential) group of observers, to ‘dictate’ that group what
kind of identity does the given thing has (as a ‘relationship with itself’)?
[MW>] "You" means "anyone". Something that exists has identity with itself
without any observer. When we observe things we need to be able to tell whether
two things we discover are the same as each other or different. For example: Is
Barak Obama the same thing as The President of the United States? Despite the
fact that they are coincident at the present time, I would say that they are
different, because if you trace them through space and time you find that they
are not coincident at all times when they exist.    (07)

Internally, in my thoughts, I am moving from a question ‘what is an
identity?’ to a question ‘what an identity is for?’.
[MW>] On its own it is not really of interest, it is what results from it that
is important.    (08)

If a thing exists without an observer (of that thing), does it require a
special identity? what for? how can it be used? And thinking about those
questions, I have doubts that a thing requires any dedicated/specific identity
at all…
[MW>] I think you are starting to confuse identity with identifier. An
identifier is a label an observer might give something for easy reference to
it. Nothing natural needs an identifier (some intentionally constructed objects
might need an identifier to exist, like a bank note).    (09)

If there is an observer, will it be an observer’s decision how to define an
identity for a thing observed by the given observer?
[MW>] If you mean identifier, then yes. Note that there is no limit to the
number of identifiers different observers might give to the same thing.
However, it is only possible for observers to share information about that
thing if they share an identifier for it.    (010)

If a thing does not have an identity (as internal property, or as internal
relationship to itself), how an observer makes a decision about an identity?
will that decision be governed by the context and the purpose of the
identification exercise?
[MW>] Yes.    (011)

Matthew, I am not asking you to answer my questions directly. I might come
across some books or gradually reading different sources (including this email
group threads) I may get a better understanding.
[MW>] These are some very fundamental things that most people just take for
granted (but should not).    (012)

BTW, thank you very much for a very interesting book (written by you on top of
ISO 15926 standard) and for contributions to this email group.
[MW>] Glad it is helpful.
Regards
Matthew    (013)

Regards,