Re: [ontolog-forum] The "qua-entities" paradigm

To: "'Pat Hayes'" <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "'[ontolog-forum]'" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <metasemantics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 19:18:08 -0700

Below, copied and pasted faithfully, is what MW said:

MW:

> Each grain of sand exists in the real world and has identity, whether or not you are interested in them. That is something entirely different. A handful of sand is also something that exists in the real world (the aggregate of the grains of sand whilst they are in your hand) and whether you care about that is also a different question.

> Regards

> Matthew West

RC:

I agree that identity is something entirely different from identifier.  So yes, things exist whether I am there to observe them or not.  These existing things have identities.  For example, a bunch of them could have the same identity. I suggest we agree to name it "sand".  I'm not interested, and option out of developing specializations of said sand.  Only generalizations that include such things as crystals, grains, suspensions (quicksand) and so forth are interesting.

But the "identifier" is NOT the same as the "identity".  The identifier is only useful if some few instances of some few classes are to be uniquely "identified", or "designated", by some function (e.g., by table lookup among pairs).

Can we agree so far?

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper,

Rich Cooper,

Chief Technology Officer,

MetaSemantics Corporation

MetaSemantics AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com

( 9 4 9 ) 5 2 5-5 7 1 2

http://www.EnglishLogicKernel.com