[ontolog-forum] utah

To: Michael Brunnbauer <brunni@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John McClure <jmcclure@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 13:22:07 -0800
On 1/19/2014 3:43 AM, Michael Brunnbauer wrote:
> Who said that Utah exists because personal specificity is impossible ?
I did, for the simple reason that the Internet's anonymous architecture
does not permit issuance of all-points-bulletin (APB) alerts for
'persons of interest'. Consequently to effectively surveil
communications of 'persons of interest' involves correlating CDRs (phone
metadata) with data gathered by human intelligence (humint) methods,
with apache logs of all websites. Essentially Utah is necessary for the
State to reconstruct all sites' apache logs for any moments in time.    (01)

If anonymity were eliminated, then APBs can be issued and appropriately
acted upon by all web servers, eliminating the need for Utah. How can
this be done? Amazon's 'elastic IPs' are somewhat a prototype of what I
have in mind but there are others with far more insight to this matter.    (02)

Again, the public Internet is so much like our public roadways. No
unlicensed drivers and no unlicensed vehicles should be allowed. Period.
Private roadways are certainly alright but no toll booths operated by
private entities should ever be permitted. It's time for public dirt
roads to give way to paved roads (we call this 'progress') otherwise we
surely risk suborning the creation of an authoritarian,
domestic-snooping, architecture as direct consequence.    (03)

Without personal association with GET/POSTs, Utahs are necessary.
/jmc    (04)